Wednesday, April 6, 2011

spring cooking class - in session

The first time I attempted to make cookies after TT and I were married, I experienced a very harsh realization.  I no longer had access to a stocked pantry full of all the essentials to just whip out a batch of chocolate chip cookies, or cook up a spaghetti dinner.  At that moment, I realized I am in charge of my kitchen... and I'd hate to let myself (and TT) down.  Then I learned this - in most cases cooking dinner is not as easy as it looks.  Every time I'm cooking anything I have my phone on the kitchen counter ready to call my mom for more step by step instructions.  It might be something as simple as steaming broccoli, trying to recreate my mom's famous frosting, or wondering why my pizza dough isn't rising...basically I have a lot of cooking questions. 

So, the cooking classes were born.  Why? We all have our family favorite recipes, and my family happens to have a lot, because we all love to cook.  Both of my Grandma's are talented and adventurous cook. My mom is uber talented (who doesn't love their mom's cooking), and so is my Mother-In-Law. 

My mom is the creator of these cooking classes, and I can't wait for all six of them!  Tonight we started them off with a bang: Quiche. 

Quiche Lorraine. (This name bothers me. It sounds like Mrs. Lorraine.)
Chicken, Broccoli And Almond Quiche. (This one was my favorite).

And then there was Crustless Crab Quiche.  Unfortunately I didn't get a picture.  This quiche smelled the best coming out of the oven.   At the end of the night, my dad came in and gave each quiche a grade.  He's in charge of measuring our improvement, and babysitting the little ones. 

I'm excited for the next session.  It's focus is entirely on breads! We'll be making popovers, Italian Breadsticks, and learning to make the most of our Kitchenaids when making bread. 
Prepping -lots of pots and pans.
 Our favorite little helper.
Silly gooses.
Finished product!



6 comments:

Joni and Rico Adams said...

These look amazing! Can you post recipes?

Ann Barlow said...

I love your new hair! Also, I absolutely love quiche and want the recipes :)

Cher said...

Thanks for the great pictures!!!! Love your hair too!!!!

Emily said...

I love my mom's quiche I haven't had it in such a long time! Really missing home now...

chelsea said...

um.. I need some cooking help. You should teach me. Just saying, it's probably a good idea.

Melissa said...

I want to come to your cooking classes! They look yummy! I would also love to know how to use my Kitchen Aid better.
Here comes new posts, right???